Tuesday 19 March 2013

My Benjamin Discovery

This may begin to sound a bit "Deja Vu" (ish) but I got my "Disco" from the guys at Solware.
 
 I seem to buy most of my rifles from these guys, I find their enthusiasm for all things shooting to be infectious, well I seem to have caught, whatever it is they have.

I got the Benjamin Discovery, as my first PCP, I got the rifle, and air tank at the same time, with a Hawke 3-9x40AO Airmax scope, so whilst this may be one of the cheapest PCP's out there, the initial outlay was, significant!

I found the recoiless world of PCP's to be, a step forward. I spent a lot of time with this very lightweight rifle, and for a .177 I found it to have a (as it turns out) good shot count from its 2000psi fill, 2/3rds of the air pressure of "normal" PCP's, but I was still getting near to 100 shots.
I spent a lot of time with this rifle, and over a few months had upgraded the scope to a Richter Optics IR scope. I made enquires with a gut at "Crooked Barn" in the states and subsequently got one of the fine Crooked Barn Triggers, a major upgrade as the std trigger, being plastic was a little unpredictable, due to flex. I got a really nice brass balled cocking bolt.

The next step was to source a hammer spring adjuster. I got a Gmac item that suited the rifle perfectly, and this fitted, along with an upgraded hammer spring, really got the rifle shooting well. The big advantage was the "adjustability" of the hammer, at the highest setting I was able to get "full Power" for the long range stuff, but also have the ability to lower the power for sub 35 yards stuff, and increase the shot count.
I could adjust the power between 11.9fpe down to 6fpe, and this in turn made the rifle perfect for anything between 8 yards and 55 yards, a good spread of range.
One thing this rifle had was a VERY loud report, when I say LOUD I mean F@&^** LOUD more like a 303 Enfield. I tried various sound moderators, all did their job, only made the rifle ridiculously long. I managed to find a suitable pistol silencer that subdued the sound sufficiently, nad kept the length down to a managable length.
I mentioned before the fact that this rifle was "dual fuel" It worked as a dedicated PCP, aswell as a bulk-fill Co2. The only real precaution was to ensure it was purged of the previous propellant before refilling with the alternate. A good feature if you want the significantly higher Co2 sht count, but at the expense of fpe.

This rifle is to me one of the true classic rifles. Given the chance I would snap another up, but Crosamn have discontinued the rifle from the UK catalogue, however I believe it is still available Stateside.


No comments:

Post a Comment