Wednesday 13 March 2013

Review of the Hatsan AT44-10 .22

First of all, I have the ongoing addmission that I am biased towards Hatsan Air Rifles. I have owned quite a few of the Turkish built masterpieces. I find the simplicity and build quality to be very high, and not at a ridiculously high price.
The AT44 is available in the synthetic stock (which I have tried, but doesnt suit me)
And the more traditional Wooden stock. The Wood used for the stocks, is a Turkish Hardwood.

I have purchased all my AT44's from Solware. I have found over the years that they give great customer service, but above all, have always assisted me with my purchases, with help and back-up.

So, As by way of a review, here we go......

The first thing you will notice is obviousley the stock, a well crafted piece of Turkish Hardwood, is sculptured to fit around the action, I, personally find the stock to be one of the best ergonomic stocks I have ever used.
 The stock features some superb checkering around the pistol grip. The "Monte Carlo" type riser is well contoured and of a ambidextrous nature. The stock is nice and slim around the thumb area, and blends into a wide fore-stock.
 The area around the trigger is clear and uncluttered. As the fore-stock goes further forward it has a flattend underside. I deal for shooting from a bean bag or bench rest. Giving a very stable shooting platform.
 The inletting in the stock, is very clean and supports the barrel bands very well, this firstly keeps the air tube solid and secure, but also helps maintain a reliable and consistant firing cycle.
 A very well engineered adjustable butt plate allows the shooter to improve the feel of the rifle in the shoulder, thus maintaing the consistancy.
Filling the AT44 is simplicity itself. Using the supplied filler adapter, fitted to your recharging method of choice, I use a scuba tank, but some prefer the foot pump method. Simply rotate the cover at the front of the air tube, to reveal the filler hole, and insert the adapter. You can fill the AT44 to 200 bar, but test's have revealed the rifle works best filled to around 190 bar. Filling to this level achieves the most consistant shots. Filling to the maximum 200 bar gives the first 10 or so shots too much air causing valve lock and subsequent drop of pressure.
 An auto safety is another feature of the rifle, great in the field when you want to make a quick shot, without all the noise from a normal bolt action. The AT44 features a side lever, something that is more common on rifles costing a lot more money.
Another "standard" feature of the Hatsan AT44-10 is a threaded muzzle end, for those that like to do things quietly.
A very tidy end cap is simply unscrewed and the moderator of choice is screwed on using the common 1/2" UNF thread.

 Simplicty is the key on this rifle, none of the fragile plastic plastic parts you find on more expensive rifles are to be found on this rifle, this of course does come at the cost of weight, but as the rifle is so well balanced it does not pose a problem.
 One of the major bonuses of most of the Hatsan range, is the inclusion of the "Quattro" trigger. I have found this to be one of the best features of Hatsan Rifles, it can be fully adjusted to suit any shooting style. I reduce the throw on the second stage and lighten the feel to give a clean sharp release without being a "hair trigger"

 Loading the rifle is a simple operation, simply pull the sidelever back to the cocked position, then push the retaining lever forward, and out comes the metal magazine (two mags are supplied with the rifle)
With the magazine removed from the rifle, simply load the pellet of choice. I use Crosman Premiers or Webley Accupels, as they seem to be very consistand and seem to suit the rifles barrel.
Just locate the pellet into the mag and gently push home.
It is important to make sure the pellet is fully home in the magazine
I always flip the magazine over just to have a quick look
And a quick visual scan to ensure all are seated properly.
 
It is then just a case of replacing the now filled magazine into the breech. I return the retaining pin and gently close the sidelever. I keep a finger on the magazine to make sure it is in the right position, and the pellet loads smoothly into the breech.
There is, or has been, incidents of alledged jamming, this is nearly always down to not ensureing the magazine is correctly seated first, and the sidelever is "forced home"

 A gentle pressure form the finger is all thats required, if resistance is felt, just "pull" the mag back against the ident spring and it will seat properly.
 

One the mag is loaded back into the rifle and the side lever is returned the rifle is loaded, and the auto safety is engaged. It is now just a simple push on the safety button and the rifle is "live"


Whilst this may not be the best time to check air pressure, it does show the clear gauge mounted at the end of the air reservoir

 I have fitted a MTC 10x44SCB scope to my AT44-10, as I predominatly use this rifle for HFT type shooting.

 

10 comments:

  1. Great review Gary. I personally prefer the synthetic stock on the AT44. I also have a Viper 10x44 and find that with a set of weaver low mounts (this gun has both rails) the cheek piece is the perfect height.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a personal choice thing with the stock, my friends son has the synthetic stock one and loves it

      Delete
  2. I have a Hatsan, well two of them a 55s for plinking and `Heather` my AT44 10. I have owned her for just over a year and i wont hunt with anything else. I have the wood stock and she is fitted with a Bushnel 3-9 x 50. She likes RWS superfield points and has never let me down. I go out with her every Sunday to an old quarry where i have a permission and she will pop squirrels from 0 - 60 yards and pigeons out to 75+ she`s in .22 and spits them out at 11.7 ft/lbs. I love my Heather. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find a pointed pellet does not have the overall accuracy as a domed one, but if your nailing your quarry at 75 yards what do I know lol

      Delete
  3. I need someone's help right now. My Hatsan has jammed and I can't get the magazine out. While I was out shooting pigeons, I pulled the side lever back ready to fire but my grandfather came up to me and started talking, anyway when we finished, I forgot that I had already pulled it back once so I pulled it again and it jammed, I opened that "area" up on the opposite side and I fear I've made it worse, could you give me some advice or direct me towards someone who can help me with this? thank you D-:

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK a jammed magazine isnt unusual on this rifle, It usually occures when the magazine is not quite indexed correctly. You need to be persistant, but gentle and keep trying to ease the side lever forward. It happens because a pellet does not quite line up in the breach and the probe is jamming it in the end of the barrel. Try to rock the nagazine side to side as you work the sidelever. Email me on gary.timms@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for replying but I've solved the problem :) I got the magazine out using your advice (thank you) and it seemed by pulling the side lever back a second time I 'stacked' the bullets causing a blockage, since they were close to where the pin entered, I managed to gently pry the first one out with my nail. The second one I luckily shot out by simply firing the rifle(not recommended but it worked). The magazine then didn't go back in because I had misplaced the positioning of a small piece of plastic which I can't describe with accuracy so by sorting that out it slotted in and is now back to normal :) It was my first gas powered air rifle so I'm pretty new to these kind of things :) It was a stupid mistake that will now be avoided, thanks again!

      Delete
  5. Great reviews! Im looking to buy a Hatsan AT 44-10! Would you still recommend one? What would be a fair price nowadays? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gary just bought 2 hatsan rifles, denominator / striker 1000x both in walnut, Dom is 22 / striker 25, give me a honest opinion , I find them great value

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gary just bought 2 hatsan rifles, denominator / striker 1000x both in walnut, Dom is 22 / striker 25, give me a honest opinion , I find them great value

    ReplyDelete