Thursday 16 January 2014

Hi and may the new year bring you all you want.

Well, I found myself in a little bit of a quandry, I was listing my air rifles for my profile on one of the forums I'm a member of and realised I didnt own a single Hatsan. This came as a bit of a surprise to me, as i spend all my time telling everyone how good they are.

What to do? The obvious thing was to get another one. I didnt fancy another PCP as, having already owned a few AT44's in all the calibres, and I didnt gel with the BT65. It had to be a springer.
Recently we (Pete, Mikey and myself) have been getting all abit competetive on our HFT/FT course and I have been trying to find the springer that suits me. I have been musing with getting another TX200 or a HW77/97 but the thought of all that extra weight, after spending so much time with a lightweight PCP, my BSA Scorpion, put me off a bit. I have been using the BSA Lightning, and whilst its a lovely rifle, I am really struggling with the trigger, theres nothing wrong with it, and in fairness, it has been getting better with use. But I find I am missing shots I know I should be getting, nothing is a "gimme" anymore. So I contacted Ty at Solware of Tamworth, and asked for his advice. Money, is a bit of a problem so I was looking at a Weihrauch HW95 at abiout £225, but, being an open minded sort of chap, asked Ty what else there was in a similar price bracket. Ty said to have a look at a CZ Slavia, so onto Google and search for these Czech built classics. Well all was looking good, nice Retro styling and some very good write ups and reviews, so I had a look at some exploded diagrams and lo and behold the trigger design was archaic, looking like something out of a B2. I know the deign is sound but I dont want to be in the same boat as I am with the Lightning and trying to find a solution to a problem I already have. Then it struck me..... I need something like a "Quattro" trigger like on one of my old Hatsans.

So, (bringing this tale, back on track)(sorry) Which hatsan do I go for, as I said before, money is more of an issue now, so I set myself a project. Build a competative FT springer for under £200 (not including the scope)* So I trawled through all my records of perormance and reliability and narrowed it down to 1, a .177. 2. a wooden stock, 3, Quattro trigger, 4 Money.

My choices were Mod95, Striker, Mod55 or try something different.
The Mod95 is probably the best springer that Hatsan make, it ticks all the boxes except not available in the UK in .177 plus the cost is getting higher on this model.
The Striker again a damn fine rifle .177 (tick) wooden stock (tick) Cost (tick) Trigger, Hmmmm can be bought back upto Quattro levels but at a cost big cross.
So Iit was back to the perenial favourite (and the cheapest) the Mod55s. .177 (tick) wooden stock (tick) Quattro trigger (tick) cost (big tick). The asthetics are a little challenging, all being a bit 1970's Gerry from the Good Life Volvo-esque, but I know how good they are. I have had quite a few of this model and its .22 sister the Mod60. So I know the quality and build and aolso know that for pennies can be bought up to spec. However, can I build one to FT standard, and be competative with it? Well thats the plan, and I will keep you up to speed on how it all goes. I have  deadline, April 14th for the UK Recoiling Championships an the Anston Club.

There, I have set myself a goal,now all I have to do is, put in the back of the net.

No comments:

Post a Comment