Thursday 27 February 2014

Ok so power wise the rifle is near perfect, but I have still been having the recoil issues in that the rifle is hard to hold on line for the follow through. The rifle "jumps" that little bit to much and "following" the pellet to the target is near impossible (compared to what I am trying to achieve)
So a little re-thinking and I havegone back to the titan spring, but this time I have fitted new delrin guides and spacers. I still have the thrust race up front. I have reduced the length of the spring again, by another coil, and refinished the ends again.
Now we are cooking on gas. Interestingly power has risen to 11.7fpe, but, more importantly the recoil is significantly reduced.
Pulled the rifle out of the slip, cocked it (again improved to almost silk like smoothness) and first shot, hit the 55 yard reset. Hmmm I am liking the latest incantation of this rifle.

OK so following on from the original (out of box) set up, here's what I have done.

Stripped the rifle completely cleaned everything (no need to deburr this one) I have removed the anti-bear trap linkage, (not really needed, as I never cock a rifle till I need to, and never let go if the barrel anyway) I have fitted a Titan spring with Welsh Willy delrin parts (from a Mod95 kit I had) I have removed the safety linkage (and all the bits and pieces).

The rifle is sporting an MTC Viper 10x44 SCB scope.

So the outcome, as it is, is I have an accurate, lightweight(ish) break-barrel rifle that is capable of 55 yard knockdowns, with little recoil.
The object of the exercise was to make a FT quality springer for under £200.
So the rifle cost £109 from Solware
A spring tuning kit from Woodfield Gun Care  about £50 (I know I didnt have to buy this as I had all the bits in my tool box) (but  am assuming you would buy one)
The muzzle brake was £14.
I will fit a sling and sling mounts, that will be another £25  so all in about £198

Mission accomplished.
Next test will be the British Recoiling Championships in April, so until then, practice, practice and a bit more practice

No comments:

Post a Comment